What is Estate Planning?
Estate Planning provides your loved ones with guidance regarding your health, your property and assets, your children and pets, by giving them the tools the need to handle these matters.
Who needs Estate Planning?
Everyone! It is never too early or too late to have an estate plan, but we are really concerned with helping:
- Parents with young children who have recently purchased their first home;
- Couples who recently married and each have children from prior relationships;
- Couples who live together but don't anticipate getting married;
- LGBT couples;
- People who have not looked at their estate plan in a few years (or decades).
Do I have to be rich to have an estate plan?
No. Money is great, but if you have children and people you love, you are rich in a different way and those relationships are assets that need to be protected too.
The people who love and care about you need to know what to do in the event something happens to you- like what happens to your kids, the money in your bank account, or the things in your home.
An Estate Plan is a book of answers for your family - they don't have to guess or fight about what you may want because they will know.
How often do I have to revise my estate plan?
When your life changes like when:
- You get married;
- You get divorced;
- You have children;
- Your children become adults;
- Your children get married;
- Your children have children;
- Your children get divorced,
- Your income/assets change dramatically;
- A close family member dies, or death of a beneficiary;
- Before major travel plans;
- Before major surgeries;
- Every 5 years is the general rule.
An Estate Plan should be flexible and practical for you.
What is included in an Estate Plan?
Every law firm does it a little differently but we include:
- Revocable Trust
- Durable Healthcare Power of Attorney, Living Will aka Healthcare Directives
- Durable Financial Power of Attorney
- Beneficiary Deeds for real estate
- Other documentation necessary to fund the Trust
How much does it cost?
It depends. But we offer flat rate prices and affordable payment plans. You can get started for $200.